Sunday, December 10, 2023

Retire@40 Target Update


After some changes to jobs and multiple resignation attempts later, I'm happy to announce that I've managed to retire at age 46. As of this post, it has been 185 days since I last worked (although my status of employment is still a mystery to me at this point..... it's a long story). 

My last day of actual work was 7-Jun-2023. And in this 6 months or so, I've managed to travel solo to Taiwan and Nagoya Japan, and explore Ipoh Malaysia and Penang with my husband when he was also on a one year break.

This new found freedom has not been easy.  It was almost nerve wracking before the decision was made, as well as a few months after the action was taken to stop work. But after realising that I can survive ok without working, and the longer I manage to live on without drawing a salary, I begin to relax and started to  enjoy my free time. Hence I'm restarting my postings again to my two blogs, and will document down to share more of my journey both personal and financial. 

At times I wonder if I'm making the right decision. But I've been planning this for so long now that it would be a waste if I just delay it and let the idea go. Sure I could have continued working remotely (which was what I have been doing for the past 2 years when Covid strikes). The money was good, and I could always do the minimum required of me. But there was always a feeling of a chain there, along with job dissatisfaction on the last job. And that my time was not really my own. This was especially suffocating when I really wanted time off to cater to some personal things. I told myself that I have to have more confidence in my own planning. And that if I don't take this step forward, what was the point of all those years of planning anyway. I saw a quote from a fellow Malaysian travel couple that gave me courage. It was in mandarin, but the translation was as such: "Thinking about it a thousand times, why not just be brave one time".

So hence starts a new stage in my life. And I hope it would be a permanent stage as I can't see myself going back to working full time in the future. For this blog at least, these are some of my future post ideas that I wish to document and share here. Note that these information would be Malaysia/Singapore specific as I am located in these two countries.

- Spending free time without costing money

- How to stay active and healthy

- How to survive without a salary in terms of money

- Ways of saving money

- How I plan for retirement finances

Stay tune!

No comments:

Post a Comment